Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Movies and Ads...

Over the weekend, I saw this French movie "Ricky". It's about a baby born to ordinary working class parents... but this is no ordinary baby. Ricky has wings. Ricky can fly. Watch the trailer:


                         The movie is gripping and as is the case with most European movies, takes pride in the minimalistic approach. I'm not going to say I love this approach in all movies - in some movies it works and in others it doesn't. In "Ricky", (spoiler alert), in an attempt to have a better life for the children by selling their story to reporters, the simply adorable Ricky is presented to the world as flying on a string by the loving mother. But in awe and wonder at looking at her son fly in the open sky for the first time, she lets go (??), and she realises it too late. I just couldn't fathom that scene...I was so angry with the mother! How could she be so careless?? Anyway, he flies away for months and comes back to the pining mother for a couple of minutes to show her that he is fine and walking. Having a baby of my own, it was very emotional - didn't she want to try and catch Ricky? Does he keep coming back to her? Who was looking after him and feeding him? It's a fantasy film, but I was unrealistically itching to know more...

While we are on the topic of cinema, I'm going to discuss this ad I thought as being so hard-hitting and true...Isabelle has started imitating people and some of the things she does occasionally, I'm not sure I like - like slapping her forehead and smiling at us for affirmation. We try to show her we don't like it and it seems to work, but this ad make me think...Children see. Children do.

No comments:

Post a Comment